Wednesday, 19 March 2014


Lest We Forget–The Children of ‘the Iraqi Hiroshima’

8 Votes



NEW Torture Photos: US Soldiers Raped, Sodomized Prisoners

By Tom Eley
In an interview with the British newspaper the Daily Telegraph published Wednesday, former US General Antonio Taguba said that photographs the Obama administration is seeking to suppress show images of US soldiers raping and sodomizing Iraqi prisoners. Taguba, who conducted the military inquiry of prisoner abuse at the notorious Abu Ghraib prison in 2004 after some photos of US soldiers torturing prisoners became public, said that among the photos are images of soldiers raping a female prisoner, raping a male detainee, and committing “sexual assaults on prisoners with objects including a truncheon, wire and phosphorescent 
tube,” according to the Telegraph.z_truth_is000

Gen. Taguba said even the description of the photos is explosive. “These pictures show torture, abuse, rape and every indecency,” Taguba said. “The mere description of these pictures is horrendous enough, take my word for it.”

Taguba’s revelations expose the deceit of President Barack Obama’s claim, used to justify the photos’ suppression, that they “are not particularly sensational, especially when compared to the painful images that we remember from Abu Ghraib.” In all, it is believed that there are some 2,000 photographs depicting about 400 cases of US military personnel torturing Iraqis and Afghans at seven military prisons. The Bush administration, and now Obama, have sought to block publication of the images.

Obama also claimed that “the most direct consequence of releasing them…would be to inflame anti-American public opinion and to put our troops in greater danger.” While this may likely be true, the criminal nature of the US occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan is already well known by the nations’ populations, who have died and been made refugees in the hundreds of thousands since being invaded in 2003 and 2001, respectively. Indeed, this claim only exposes the true nature of the US occupations: they have never been about establishing democracy, but aimed at stamping out resistance to US control of the strategically important nations through mass bloodletting and terror, the historical modus operandi of every imperialist occupying power.

However, the central reason Obama has chosen to fight the photos’ release is that top US generals announced their opposition to their publication. The generals’ intervention came in the midst of increasingly open dissension from the ranks of the military-intelligence apparatus over Obama’s handling of “the war on terror.” After Obama released four Bush administration legal memos justifying torture, a campaign, spearheaded by Bush Vice President Dick Cheney, was launched, appealing to the military brass and spies. Obama responded by promising he would block any investigation of the previous administration’s carefully crafted and controlled torture policies. He then reversed an earlier decision to not appeal a judge’s ruling in response to an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) freedom of information lawsuit launched in 2004, which demanded the release of dozens of the torture photos.

An Obama Pentagon spokesman denied that the suppressed images depict rape, while a carefully worded statement seemed to indicate other photos depict precisely such actions. Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the Telegraph “has completely mischaracterized the images…. None of the photos in question depict the images that are described in that article.” Whitman did not specifically deny Taguba’s claims.

Obama claims that the torture depicted in the photographs was committed by “a small number of individuals,” and that those “involved have been identified, and appropriate actions have been taken.” Here we may safely assume Obama is referring to a small handful of rank-and-file soldiers.

But what of the high-ranking officers who oversaw, endorsed and most likely ordered the torture and rape of prisoners? If there are 2,000 photographs of prisoner torture that fell under the control of the Pentagon, how many more cases were not photographed? It is clear that the torture and rape of prisoners went far beyond the actions of “a few bad apples.” This torture and sexual humiliation of prisoners—up to and including rape—can only be described as the systematic policy of the US military and Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), sanctioned at the highest levels of government. Indeed, the generals’ opposition to further publication of the photos is likely based in part on their own association with the crimes.

The policy of torture came from higher still, however, as recently released Justice Department legal memos and other evidence show. Various forms of torture, including forced nudity and sexual humiliation were studied, justified, and individually approved by top White House and congressional officials. A US Senate Armed Services Committee report issued in April reveals that Bush Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld personally approved 15 “harsh interrogation” methods. A version of Rumsfeld’s document was used, verbatim, at Abu Ghraib, according to the report. (See “Bush, top cabinet officials monitored torture of detainees”)

In his Telegraph interview, Taguba solidarized himself with Obama’s decision to suppress the photos. Taguba’s own investigation in 2004 was in fact a partial cover-up. He later admitted that he was ordered to confine his investigation to low-ranking military police, although he was aware that high-ranking generals had “extensive knowledge” of the torture. And though he was aware of the photographic evidence of torture and rape at the time, Taguba’s report made no mention of them.

Because his report was not a total whitewash, however, the Bush administration forced the major general into retirement in 2007. He has since described the actions of the Bush administration in Iraq as war crimes. “There is no longer any doubt that the current administration committed war crimes,” Taguba wrote in the forward for a report by Physicians for Human Rights. “The only question is whether those who ordered torture will be held to account.”

The photographic evidence of rape substantiates evidence Taguba gathered in his investigation, which only became public due to another freedom of information lawsuit. For example, in a sworn deposition Kasim Mehaddi Hilas said he witnessed US military personnel raping a boy. “I saw [a US military translator rape] a kid, his age would be about 15 to 18 years. The kid was hurting very bad and they covered all the doors with sheets. Then when I heard screaming I climbed the door because on top it wasn’t covered and I saw [the soldier] who was wearing the military uniform, putting his **** in the little kid’s **** and the female soldier was taking pictures.”

The sworn deposition also described the anal rape of prisoners with phosphorescent tubes and police clubs, as well as the use of wire in sexual torture.

The rape of Iraqi boys by US military personnel is corroborated by other evidence. Journalist Seymour Hersh, who played a critical role in breaking the Abu Ghraib story in 2004, has evidently seen all of the photos, and is aware of video footage depicting rape. He has not written publicly on their content, but a 2004 speech he gave to the ACLU indicates the sheer horror of the US military’s methods:

“Some of the worst things that happened you don’t know about, okay?” Hersh said. “The women were passing messages out saying, ‘Please come and kill me, because of what’s happened,’ and basically what happened is that those women who were arrested with young boys, children in cases that have been recorded. The boys were sodomized with the cameras rolling. And the worst, above all, of that is the soundtrack of the boys shrieking that your government has. They are in total terror. It’s going to come out.” In another speech, quoted by Rick Pearlstein, Hersh spoke of “horrible things done to children of women prisoners, as the cameras run.”


The unfathomable crimes depicted in the photos arise inexorably from the project of aggressive wars based on lies. As such, they are the flip side of the conspiracy against the democratic rights of the American people. Both arise from the deepening crisis of US capitalism, which the ruling elite seeks to offset by seizing hold of key resources and strategic advantage over its rivals.

One can only react with horror. Contained in the stories and images of the torture of defenseless prisoners, some of them boys and women, is the true face of US imperialism, which finds no crime beneath its dignity in its effort to subjugate Iraq and Afghanistan. Just as the Vietnam War conjures up images of napalmed children fleeing US soldiers, and Nazi Germany invokes images of emaciated prisoners near death, the images of sexual torture will forever be associated with the American “war on terror.”

In acting to suppress the images and protect the torturers, Obama has made himself an accomplice in these crimes. Moreover, in the absence of criminal investigation, there is every reason to believe that similar crimes continue.

We can no longer in good conscience trust the politicians to police themselves. Link to this article from forums and blogs. Mention it with links in your comments on blogs. PROMOTE IT.
PLEASE – Re-Post to Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Reddit, Digg, etc.

One comment

Leave a Reply

“We need to know immediately whether ministers misled parliament over CIA torture on British soil,”

"UK court ruled that Belhaj could not sue MI6 as it would harm “national interests,”"

Pressure mounts on UK over CIA’s ‘black site’ jail in Indian Ocean

Published time: April 13, 2014 11:27
Naval Support Facility Diego Garcia (AFP Photo / USAF)
Naval Support Facility Diego Garcia (AFP Photo / USAF)

A human rights group is urging Britain’s Foreign office to “come clean” over claims that a British-administered island in the Indian Ocean, Diego Garcia, was used as a secret "black site" detention center by the CIA.

“We need to know immediately whether ministers misled parliament over CIA torture on British soil,”

Cori Crider, strategic director at Reprieve, a legal action charity group, said in a letter to UK Foreign Secretary William Hague.

“If the CIA operated a black site on Diego Garcia, then a string of official statements, from both this and the last government, were totally false,” Crider said.

The letter followed a report by the US Senate Intelligence Committee that Britain had allowed the US to run a “black site” prison on Diego Garcia to secretly hold suspects without accountability. The Diego Garcia prison held some “high-value” detainees and was operated with the “full cooperation” of the British government, US officials familiar with the Senate report said.

“Were ministers asleep at the wheel? Or, as the report suggests, have we been lied to for years?” Crider wrote.

Reprieve is also representing Abdel-Hakim Belhaj, a rebel military commander and opponent of the late Libyan leader, Mohamed Gaddafi, who was arrested in Malaysia and rendered to Libya, allegedly via Diego Garcia, in a joint US-UK intelligence operation.

“The Foreign Secretary must urgently clarify whether the CIA ran a secret prison on Diego Garcia, and whether our clients Abdel-Hakim Belhaj and his wife Fatima Boudchar were among its victims,”
Crider said.

Belhaj became Tripoli's military commander in 2011, after the rebels took over the capital and ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi. In 2004 Belhaj – the then-leader of the anti-Gaddafi Libyan Islamic Fighting Group – and his wife were detained by US intelligence officers at Bangkok airport, Thailand, when they were to fly to London to claim asylum.

Belhaj was then returned to Libya, allegedly due to a British tip-off, where he was tortured and jailed for almost six years, until Gaddafi was ousted.

Belhaj claims the UK helped the US to arrange his rendition. He launched legal action against the UK government, the former head of counter-terrorism at intelligence agency MI6, Mark Allen, and then-Foreign Secretary Jack Straw.

"The first time I heard that I had gone through a place called Diego Garcia was when I was told by the head of the Libyan intelligence, Moussa Koussa, during my first interrogation session in a prison outside Tripoli," Belhaj said. “[Moussa Koussa] told me that he knew, and that the plane had landed on an island in the Indian Ocean called Diego Garcia.”

An undated file photo shows Diego Garcia, the largest island in the Chagos archipelago and site of a major United States military base in the middle of the Indian Ocean leased from Britain in 1966. (Reuters / U.S. Navy)
An undated file photo shows Diego Garcia, the largest island in the Chagos archipelago and site of a major United States military base in the middle of the Indian Ocean leased from Britain in 1966. (Reuters / U.S. Navy)

However, the UK court ruled that Belhaj could not sue MI6 as it would harm “national interests,” though the High Court judge concluded that Belhaj had a "well-founded claim" against intelligence officers.
The case could "jeopardize this country’s international relations and national security interests," said Peregrine Simon, a British High Court judge.

"The government must come clean about the UK's role in this dirty affair," Polly Rossdale, deputy director at Reprieve, told The Observer on Sunday.

For years, the British government consistently denied that any detainees were held at Diego Garcia or that a secret CIA prison ever existed there. They only admitted in 2008 that two rendition flights carrying detainees stopped for refueling on Diego Garcia in 2002. “The US government confirmed that there have been no other instances in which US intelligence flights landed in the UK, our Overseas Territories, or the Crown Dependencies, with a detainee, on board since 11 September 2001,” UK Foreign Office minister David Liddington told the UK parliament in 2011.

The recent revelations about “the secret prison” are hugely troubling for the UK government as they spark questions about the UK's relationship with the US.

Apart from the news about the CIA secret black site, the US Senate also found that the CIA purposely deceived the US Justice Department to attain legal justification for use of torture techniques. It also found that the CIA distorted how many detainees it held in “black site” prisons throughout the world and how many were subjected to “enhanced interrogation techniques” many amount to torture.

The Committee and the CIA have in recent weeks gone back and forth with accusations of spying, meddling, and misrepresentation, highlighting an on-going feud between the agency and the Committee since the Senate probe began in 2009.



Debi had to have her eye removed in October 2012 [SWNS]

Former Eastenders Actress Blames Terminal Eye Cancer On Decades Of Sunbed Use

Mum-of-one Debi Gibson started using sunbeds without protective goggles as a teen and reckons that’s why she’s developed eye cancer

A former model and actress has called for a ban on sunbeds after she developed terminal eye cancer from 20 years of unprotected use.
The mum-of-one started using sunbeds when she was 14 and opted not to wear protective goggles so she didn’t have any tan lines.


Debi's cancer has now spread to her liver [SWNS] She’s now calling on them to be banned so that at least ‘something good’ can come out of her death, as she leaves behind her husband Darren and seven-year-old daughter Sienna.

'I want something good to come out of my death. All this because I wanted to be brown. I would like sunbeds to be banned,’ said 42-year-old Debi Gibson from Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire.

'I am going to have to leave my daughter behind. She knows it all. She doesn't understand everything, she just knows that mummy is going to go to heaven soon, that mummy has a nasty disease called cancer and it is going to kill her.'

Debi leaves behind her husband and seven-year-old daughter Sienna [SWNS] Debi – who has appeared on Eastenders and on-stage in Evita – had to have one of her eyes removed after being diagnosed with eye cancer in October 2012 and has been told the cancer is terminal after the disease spread to her liver.

She stopped using sunbeds in 2005 and after hearing horror stories of people dying of cancer – but it was too late after decades of using sunbeds.

In April 2012, she was told she had a choroidal melanoma, a very rare type of eye cancer that affects just one in six million people.

Chemotherapy failed to kill the cancer and a year later, surgerons removed her left eye.

Debi Gibson started using sunbeds when she was 14 [SWNS] It was in early 2014 that she was given the news that the cancer had spread to her liver and was now terminal.

'There is this pressure when you are modelling or in the acting profession to be the perfect colour. I saved up the money myself when I was 14 to buy a sunbed and had it at my parents' house,’ she said.

'I used it all the time, back then there weren't any guidelines around, people thought this was the safest way to tan.

'I eventually became a personal trainer at a gym and I used to use the sunbed there as well.

'They came with goggles, but those left you with ugly tan lines so I didn't use them, I never thought that would kill me.

'I moved to London when I was 18 to become an actress and a model. There was so much pressure to look tanned, I went through that with the film industry.

'Then around 2005, there was a lot of bad press around sunbeds, so I stopped using them.

Debi had to have her eye removed in October 2012 [SWNS] 'In 2012 I woke up and found everything was blurry, I went to my doctors and he sent me to the hospital.

'They did a scan and sat me down and told me that half of my eye was covered in a tumour.

‘It's rare, only around one in every six million people get it, the doctors said it is only seen in sunny countries and they only thing they could think caused it was my use of sunbeds without the protection.

'They tried chemo but eventually they told me it hadn't worked as they had hoped.

'I was already going blind at this point, so it felt easier when they told me they were going to take the eye out.

Debi used sunbeds for 20 years to boost her career as a model and actress [SWNS] 'It happened pretty quickly. They told me I needed the operation in the October, and it was removed in the November. It was a horrendous time.

'Then after about a year I went back for another scan and they told me it had spread to my liver and I was going to die.

'The doctor gave me eight weeks to live, which runs out next week.'

'At first I went mad, completely mad, I pulled my daughter straight out of school and we all went on holiday.

'But after a little while I came to terms with it. The doctors have me on a trial drug and are giving me chemo to shrink the tumour. That could give me months or years more time.'

Her husband Darren Gibson said that his wife ‘never seems scared’ but then again she is an actress.

'It has been horrendous. Nurses have been coming out to see her from the Douglas Macmillan Hospice and they have been fantastic,’ he said.

'Debi is an amazing woman. She never seems scared, I'm sure she's struggling inside sometimes, but she is an actress.'

[Five healthier alternatives to sun beds]



 "She said: "I remember the day my mother died, and it's still hard to talk about it. I just blocked it out. I went to school the next day because my father's mentality was 'keep calm and carry on."

"So we all went to school and tried to act as if nothing had happened. But it had happened. I didn't grieve. I didn't cry at her funeral. I couldn't express anything because I was just numb to it all. I didn't start grieving for my mother properly until I was maybe 16."

Peaches Geldof Found Dead Aged 25 - Last Tweet Was About Her Mum

RIP Peaches #TooYoung

By | omg – 1 hour 3 minutes ago
The showbiz world was in shock tonight at the news that mum-of-two Peaches Geldof has been found dead at just 25.

Peaches Geldof has been found dead.

Police were called to the home of the daughter of Bob Geldof and Paula Yates near Wrotham, Kent at 1.35pm this afternoon.

The socialite, who has two young children, was pronounced dead by South East Coast ambulance service.

A spokesperson for Kent Police said it was being treated as an "unexplained sudden death" and that police were working to establish the cause.

Peaches' father Bob Geldof this evening released a statement confirming the death saying: "Peaches has died. We are beyond pain. She was the wildest, funniest, cleverest, wittiest and the most bonkers of all of us.

[Twittersphere awash with celebs paying tribute to Peaches Geldof]

"What a beautiful child. How is this possible that we will not see her again? How is that bearable?"

Peaches, who had been out in public as recently as last week at a fashion event in London, had been absent from her social media channels for 24 hours.

But her last tweet, 23 hours ago, referenced her mum, Paula Yates, who died nearly 14 years ago in September 2000.

She simply tweeted: "Me and my mum" alongside a picture of the two of them when she was a child.

Her last tweet was a picture of her and her mum, Paula Yates.
Peaches has two sons, Astala, who is set to be two on April 21 and Phaedra, whose first birthday will be on April 24, with her husband Thomas Cohen.

Musician Thomas said in a statement tonight: "My beloved wife Peaches was adored by myself and her two sons.

"I shall bring them up with their mother in their hearts everyday. We shall love her forever."

Peaches and Tom happy together in January. Copyright [Rex]

The blonde had married the lead singer of the South Easte London band S.C.U.M on September 8 2012 at a church in Davington, where her mother's funeral took place.

She was previously married to rock musician Max Drummey but they separated in 2009 after a six-months.

Peaches, who was born in 1989, spent most of her life in the media eye after launching her career writing a column for Elle magazine aged just 15.

She contributed to The Telegraph and the Guardian as well as TV shows including OMG! with Peaches Geldof on ITV2.

Peaches at a fashion event just last week. Copyright [Rex]
She lost her mother when she was 11 and in an interview with Elle Magazine two years ago revealed she struggled to cope.

She said: "I remember the day my mother died, and it's still hard to talk about it. I just blocked it out. I went to school the next day because my father's mentality was 'keep calm and carry on.

"So we all went to school and tried to act as if nothing had happened. But it had happened. I didn't grieve. I didn't cry at her funeral. I couldn't express anything because I was just numb to it all. I didn't start grieving for my mother properly until I was maybe 16."

Peaches Geldof Was Found Dead With Baby Son Phaedra By Her Side

Her husband raised the alarm when she didn't answer her phone

She was tragically found dead on Monday morning.

Peaches Geldof was discovered dead with baby Phaedra by her side. Copyright [Instagram]
And now it's been revealed that Peaches Geldof's 11-month-old son Phaedra was actually WITH her when she passed away.

The little one was found playing close to his mum when the star's body was discovered after her husband Thomas Cohen raised the alarm after frantically trying to call the house.

[ Peaches Geldof 'May Have Had Eating Disorder' Before Death Claims Doctor ]

The sad situation bizarrely mirrors the death of her mother Paula Yates back in 2000 - who was found dead with her four-year-old daughter Tiger Lily playing beside her.

According to The Sun, musician Thomas had spent the night away from their Kent home with their eldest son, Astala, but became panicked when he couldn't reach her by phone.

He then asked a friend who lives close by to go and check on her after getting seriously worried, who then immediately called the police.

Thomas Cohen raised the alarm when he couldn't reach Peaches by phone. Copyright [REX]
A source told the paper: "Phaedra was by her side most of the time, even when she was sleeping. At the very least, there can be some comfort that she wasn't by herself when she died."
But although the little 'un was with her mother the whole time, he is probably too young to have realised what was happening.

The source added: "The hope is that Phaedra is so young he wasn't aware of what was going on. The most important thing is that he's OK.

"It is devastating for Tom that he wasn't there but it couldn't have been avoided."

The circumstances are eerily similar to the way her famous mum was found 14 years ago - discovered in her home by a family friend, with her youngest by her side.

Peaches Geldof was found dead at her home in Kent on Monday. Copyright [REX]
Peaches' former nanny Anita Debney, who is also Phaedra's Godmother, is the latest person to pay tribute to the star.

On Thursday she wrote on Instagram: "She has been the greatest joy, the greatest blessing, the most tender part of my heart and soul. I loved her through the good times and the bad. We struggled and survived the darkest of times.

"I never lost faith in her spirit and strength. Always held out my hand to help her when she struggled and fell. She overcame so much and my love and appreciation of her indomitable spirit never wavered."

She continued: "The joy we shared in her beautiful babies was so deep and meaningful and filled both of our hearts with love and devotion.

Peaches posted a picture of her mum Paula Yates the day before she died. Copyright [Instagram]
"She blossomed in motherhood and excelled at raising the sweetest, happiest babies in the world. She was passionate in her zeal to speak up for the needs of babies everywhere and lives have been changed because of that.

"What a wonderful legacy she has left to the world. My darling girl. You almost made it."

After an inconclusive postmortem (???), Peaches' body has now been released to her family, with the funeral expected to take place at in Kent.

Peaches Geldof and her sister Pixie were in the spotlight from an early age thanks to their famous mum Paula Yates, who was married to their dad Bob Geldof until 1996.Copyright [Getty]
(The question marks between parentheses are mine)



 Utah woman arrested after 7 dead babies found
PLEASANT GROVE, Utah (AP) — A Utah woman accused of killing several babies she gave birth to over 10 years was arrested Sunday after police discovered seven tiny bodies stuffed in separate cardboard boxes in the garage of her former home.

Megan Huntsman, 39, who lived in the Pleasant Grove home until three years ago, had the infants between 1996 and 2006, investigators said.

Neighbors in the middle-class neighborhood of mostly older homes 35 miles south of Salt Lake City say they were shocked by the accusations and perplexed that the woman's older children still living in the home didn't know their mother was pregnant or notice anything suspicious.

Officers responded to a call Saturday from Huntsman's estranged husband about a dead infant at the home, police Capt. Michael Roberts said. Officers then discovered the six other bodies.

Roberts declined to comment on a motive and what Huntsman said during an interview with investigators. He said it wasn't clear if she has an attorney. Huntsman was booked Sunday into the Utah County Jail on six counts of murder. It wasn't immediately clear why there were six counts and not seven.
Family and neighbors identified the estranged husband as Darren West, who has been in prison on drug-related charges.

The spokesman said police believe West and Huntsman were together when the babies were born, but West isn't a person of interest at this time.

"We don't believe he had any knowledge of the situation," Roberts told The Associated Press.

Asked how the husband could not have known, Roberts replied, "That's the million-dollar question. Amazing."

The babies' bodies were sent to the Utah medical examiner's office for tests, including one to determine the cause of death. DNA samples taken from the suspect and her husband will determine definitively whether the two are the parents, as investigators believe.

Police say West was cleaning out the garage when he made the grisly discovery at the house owned by his parents in a city of about 35,000 people at the foot of snow-capped mountains. It's a nondescript, newer home with a brick facade and a star ornament hanging by the door. Several police cars blocked the entrance to the house Sunday evening as officers milled about with the belongings from the garage strewn across the front lawn.

Late Sunday, West's family issued a statement saying they were in a "state of shock and confusion."
"We are mourning this tragic loss of life and we are trying to stay strong and help each other through this awful event," the statement said before asking for privacy.

West pleaded guilty in federal court in 2005 to two counts of possessing chemicals intended to be used in manufacturing methamphetamine, court records show. In August 2006, he was sentenced to nine years in prison, but appealed the term three times. He maintained his innocence and said he never had any intention to manufacture meth. It's unclear when he was released.

Neighbors told the AP they were shocked and horrified by the accusations of what went on inside the home. None of them even knew Huntsman was pregnant in recent years.

The family members seemed like nice people and good neighbors, said Aaron and Kathie Hawker, who live next door.

Huntsman moved out several years ago, leaving her three daughters, one teenager and two young adults, to live alone, the Hawkers said. They weren't sure where Huntsman has since been living.

Years ago, Huntsman baby-sat the Hawker grandchildren and they were friendly with each other.

"It makes us so sad, we want to cry," Kathie Hawker said. "We enjoyed having them as a neighbor. This has just blown us away."

Aaron Hawker said he talked with West on Saturday morning. He told Hawker he was cleaning out the mess in the garage.

"Two hours later, suddenly we had all these policemen here," Aaron Hawker said.

Fred Newman, a neighbor whose cousin is the husband's mother, said he's perplexed how the three oldest daughters living there didn't know about what police say was going on. He said the girls didn't always park their cars in the garage, but did sometimes in the cold winter months.

"What's shocking is the three older ones living there and not noticing that their mother was pregnant,"
Newman said.

He said he has used his snow-blower to clean off the driveway of the home and the young women would thank him.

The girls were normal youngsters, coming and going often, neighbor Vickie Nelson said.
"It's shocking and kind of morbid and strange," Nelson said as he looked across the street at the garage from her from lawn.

Roberts said the case has been "emotionally draining" and upsetting to investigators. He was at the home when the bodies were discovered.

"My personal reaction? Just shocked. Couldn't believe it. The other officers felt the same," the 19-year police veteran said.

"They got more and more shocked each box they opened," Roberts said.
Griffith reported from Reno, Nev. Associated Press writer Annie Knox in Salt Lake City contributed to this report.




Boy's Head Found In Home Of Cannibal Brothers

A convicted cannibal has been arrested after a young boy's head was found at his home during a police raid.

Officers were alerted after neighbours complained of a foul smell coming from the property where Mohammad Arif, 35, and his brother Mohammad Farman, 30, live.

Arif has admitted he and Farman cooked and ate the dead body after his brother stole the corpse from a cemetery, according to police.

The pair, who live in the small town of Darya Khan in central Pakistan, around 180 miles (300km) south of the capital Islamabad, had previously served two years in jail for cannibalism in a case that shocked the country.

Police said the brothers, arrested in 2011, had dug up more than 100 corpses from the local graveyard and eaten them.

They were only released last year.

District police chief Ameer Abdullah said: "Residents informed police after a stench emanated from the house of the two brothers.

"We raided the house on Monday morning and found the head of a young boy.

"We have arrested one of the brothers, Mohammad Arif, and are conducting raids for the arrest of the other brother."

Police were searching nearby graveyards to see if they had been disturbed.

There is no specific law against cannibalism in Pakistan so, as in the 2011 case, Arif has been charged with desecrating a dead body and public order offences.

In the previous case, police found the body of a 24-year-old woman who had recently died of cancer at the men's house - without a leg, which they had eaten.


Isn't it strange that I have not seen the religion of the school girls mentioned anywhere?



Sir Bob Geldof speaks publicly for first time since daughter Peaches' death

He talks about plight of kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls

Bob GeldofGetty

Bob Geldof has spoken about the plight of the Nigerian schoolgirls taken hostage by terrorists.

Speaking publicly for the first time since the death of his daughter Peaches, Sir Bob told Channel 5 news that he hoped the girls could be returned to their parents.

But he said a celebrity campaign currently flooding social media with posts using the hashtag: #BringBackOurGirls, was unlikely to help.

Michelle Obama, Angelina Jolie, Malala Yousafzai and Hillary Clinton are among those lending their support to the social media campaign, which encourages military intervention to recover the girls who were kidnapped from their school by Boko Haram rebels in north-east Nigeria.

The Live Aid campaigner said: "The problem with media like this, is that everyone wants to do something, but sometimes you just can't. There is a great feeling of frustration.

"The US, the UK and several EU states, the Russians - they know about counter terrorism.

"If there is someone out there who could help – maybe some sort of technological bounty I don't know - but it will not stop the problem, it may find the girls and hopefully they are alive and could be reunited with their parents, but it won't stop the problem."

TV presenter Peaches died aged 25, last month. The mother-of-two was discovered at her home in Wrotham, Kent and in an echo of her mother Paula Yates's 2000 overdose, it is believed heroin played a role in her death.

The inquest opened in Gravesend, Kent, but after a short statement by the police, was adjourned until July. Bob issued a public statement after Peaches' death - but this is the first time he has addressed the wider world since his daughter's tragic death when he called her 'the wildest, funniest, cleverest, wittiest and the most bonkers of all of us'.

The #BringBackOurGirls campaign refers to the kidnapping of 276 girls from their school in Chibok, north-east Nigeria, on April 14. Nigerian Police are now offering a £300,000 reward to anyone who can help them find the missing children.

No comments:

Post a Comment